In order to make a diagnosis, you will be asked about your ailment and if appropriate a physical examination may take place. You will also be asked questions regarding your lifestyle, medical history and bodily functions. Your tongue will be briefly examined and your pulses and blood pressure will be taken.
Prior to treatment, the location of the selected acupuncture points that are to be used will be explained to you. As the most commonly used points are on the lower leg and lower arm, this frequently involves merely rolling up trousers to the knee and rolling sleeves to the elbow. Where points on the torso are selected, freshly laundered gowns or towels are provided.
For treatment, you will generally lie on a comfortable therapy couch . The actual treatment can take the form of one or more of the following:
- The gentle insertion of fine, almost hairlike, stainless steel acupuncture needles into acupuncture points.
- Electro acupuncture: Electrical impulses are applied to the needles.
- The application of heat to the acupuncture point, a process known as known as Moxibustion.
- Cupping by the use of glass cups applied by vacuum to the relevant are of the body.
- Tui Na: Chinese form of massage.